Today has been an emotional day. I didn't sleep well last night. I was worried about the state of our little gems, and I was just hoping that 2 of them would be strong enough.
My mom was my designated driver for the day since I had to take a Xanax before the transfer and had no idea how it would affect me. We arrived at the clinic early this morning for some blood work just to make sure all my hormone levels were where they need to be. I also had to drink a ridiculous amount of water since my bladder had to be full for the transfer. They put my mom in scrubs and a little cap of her own so she could come back with me. As you can see, she was much cuter in the cap than I was.
As I lay on the table waiting, the nurse, doctor and embryologist came in with the news: 11 of the 12 fertilized eggs have made it. And the 11 we have are basically super-heroes. I started tearing up at this point because I was so relieved and shocked and overwhelmed. Then came the big question. Because our embryos are so strong, the doctor recommended we only transfer one of them instead of two. They gave me a moment alone with my mom to catch my breath and think. I cried. I took a few deep breaths. I calmed myself down. I decided to stick with the original plan and transfer two even though the risks with twins are much higher. I felt like I only had about 30 seconds to make a very big decision, and I had to make it without my husband's input. (Although he whole-heartedly agreed with me when I called him after the fact. He's awesome like that.)
The transfer itself was easy. The only uncomfortable part was having a full bladder. I'm now supposed to lay around for two days, and apparently I'm not allowed in public because my risk of infection is high. I really shouldn't be allowed in public most days anyway.
Here are our little gems. I can already tell the one on the right is going to be big trouble.
And now the dreaded two week wait begins. . .
Wow! Such great news so far. I know the waiting is so so difficult and there's such a tremendous tension between wanting to be hopeful and not getting your hopes up. Praying for you friend!
ReplyDelete